Wednesday 4 February 2015

Go with the Flow

Week Two

Capturing motion out of inanimate materials is a challenge.  Wanting to depict the movement of water I didn't want to just draw a picture of waves.  To me movement in this piece was to move colour from the deep dark depth of the ocean up to the peaks of a white cap.  This would enable to allow the dancer to bring the piece to life.

Water Tutu we made for my youngest. It features a lot of hand dyed tule and lace to ombré
a dark depth up to white caps.  All appliqué of lace is hand sewn. The inspiration of a white cap wave hits the outskirts of the plate and rolls upwards to onside of the sweetheart neck. 
Bodice fabric is a cotton with textured imprinted circles which to me represented bubbles rising from the bottom of the sea floor.

I think she loves it!


Water Tutu
photographed by Robert Steiner
steinerphoto@gmail.com

As promised the water tutu, the first in my 4 elements series.



Fire tutu.  Skirt is well on its way.













Coming soon......







No comments:

Post a Comment