Sunday 1 March 2015

On Fire or fizzled out?


The second of my four element tutus is, let's just say..on fire
As I have finished the skirt after a few modifications, it's on to the bodice.  

Originally trying an ombré effect from black to white,  I produced, instead something that looked dirty.  Next I died it to a full grey, but something still isn't right.  
Now it's time to take a step back and stick with the basics.  
            So back to basic black it is.

This tutu is definitely for show.  I love the texture of the skirt, but it is way to poofy to dance with.

The idea here was to emulate the movement of flames.  Inspired by the following picture, you can see the fire in a dance.


Captivated by this my first instinct was to emulate through layering of organza in order to provide a transparency and a blending orange, reds and yellows.  The plate was set on a plain black tule traditional built pancake skirt.  I think my colours were a good blend, but the depth and scale of the application is not giving me what I had hoped.
Unfortunately the plate ended up looking like a pile of leaves.  As a result the dress didn't make the keep it list and I will try again in the future to concur the movement of fire that will encapsulate the viewer as the dancer moves.






No comments:

Post a Comment